Monday, August 06, 2007

Socrates - 3 filters

In ancient Greece, Socrates was reputed to hold knowledge in high esteem.

One day an acquaintance met the great philosopher and said,
.
"Do you know what I just heard about your friend?"
.
"Hold on a minute," Socrates replied. "Before telling me anything I'd like you to pass a little test.
.
It"s called the Three Filters Test."
.
"Three Filters?"

"That's right," Socrates continued. "Before you talk to me about my friend, it might be a good idea to take a moment and filter what you're going to say.
.
That's why I call it the Three Filters Test.
.
The first filter is Truth.
.
Have you made absolutely sure that what you are about to tell me is true?"
.
"No," the man said, "actually I just heard about it and..."
.
"All right," said Socrates. "So you don't really know if it"s true or not.
.
Now let"s try the second filter, the filter of goodness.
.
Is what you are about to tell me about my friend something good?"
.
"No, on the contrary..."
.
"So," Socrates continued, "you want to tell me something bad about him, but you're not certain it"s true.
.
You may still pass the test though, because there's one filter left: the filter of usefulness.
.
Is what you want to tell me about my friend going to be useful to me?"
.
"No, not really."
.
"Well," concluded Socrates, "if what you want to tell me is neither true nor good nor even useful, why tell it to me at all?"
.
This is why Socrates was a great philosopher & held in such high esteem.
.
Author unknown

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

and that's why he never found out this student was fucking his wife..
(not that he would care anyway..)

mphielipp said...

no, because that will pass the 3 filter, that it is relevant to him.

Anonymous said...

Please, give me link to download XRumer 7.0!!!
Thanks!

Always yours,
miss MW