Monday, June 29, 2009

Mahatma Gandhi - 2





Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.
.
The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others.
.
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problems.
.
The only virtue I want to claim is truth and non-violence. I lay no claim to superhuman powers. I want none. I wear the same corruptible flesh that the weakest of my fellow beings wears, and am therefore as liable to err as any. My services have many limitations, but God has up to now blessed them in spite of the imperfections.
.
The Seven Deadly Sins.

Wealth without work,

Pleasure without conscience,

Knowledge without character,

Commerce without morality,

Science without humanity,

Worship without sacrifice,

and Politics without principle.
.
The test of friendship is assistance in adversity, and that too, unconditional assistance.

Co-operation which needs consideration is a commercial contract and not friendship.

Conditional co-operation is like adulterated cement which does not bind.
.
The weak can never forgive.

Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
.
There are times when you have to obey a call which is the highest of all, i.e. the voice of conscience even though such obedience may cost many a bitter tear, and even more, separation from friends, from family, from the state to which you may belong, from all that you have held as dear as life itself. For this obedience is the law of our being.
.
They cannot take away our self-respect if we do not give it to them.
.
Weeding is as necessary to agriculture as sowing.
.
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?
.
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won.
.
There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.
.
Think of it – always.
..
Whenever I see an erring man, I say to myself I have also erred; when I see a lustful man I say to myself, so was I once; and in this way I feel kinship with everyone in the world and feel that I cannot be happy without the humblest of us being happy.
.
Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love.
.
Who am I?
.
I have no strength save what God gives me. I have no authority over my countrymen save the pure moral. If He holds me to be a pure instrument for the spread of non-violence in place of the awful violence now ruling the earth, He will give me the strength and show me the way. My greatest .weapon is mute prayer. The cause of peace is therefore, in God’s good hands.
.
Woman is the companion of man, gifted with equal mental capacities.
.
She has the right to participate in the minutest details in the activities of man, and she has an equal right of freedom and liberty within him.
.
References: Collected from various sources.

No comments: