Friday, November 12, 2010

Some story




Here is a true story someone found regarding exams at Cambridge University.
.
It seems that during an examination one day a bright young student popped up and asked the proctor to bring him Cakes and Ale.
.
The following dialog ensued:
.
Proctor: I beg your pardon?
.
Student: Sir, I request that you bring me Cakes and Ale.
.
Proctor: Sorry, no.
.
Student: Sir, I really must insist. I request and require that you bring me Cakes and Ale.
.
At this point, the student produced a copy of the four hundred year old Laws of Cambridge
.
Written in Latin and still nominally in effect, and pointed to the section which read (rough translation from the Latin):
.
``Gentlemen sitting examinations may request and require Cakes and Ale.''
.
Pepsi and hamburgers were judged the modern equivalent, and the student sat there, writing his examination and happily slurping away.
.
Three weeks later the student was fined five pounds for not wearing a sword to the examination.

No comments: